Skip to main content

Our History

  • The Four Star Public Library was opened as a demonstration library on April 29, 1990 by the Great River Library System and was funded by a federal L.S.C.A. grant. The first library director was Kimberly Dickhut.
  • On November 6, 1990 a referendum establishing the library district was approved by voters. The first location of the library was a small one room building on East South Street.
  • The library moved in June of 1992 to a rented space in the First Bankers Trust building. In 1994, the library applied for and received a $76,300 State of Illinois Live and Learn Construction grant for the construction of a new library building. Construction began in the spring of 1995. The total cost of the building project was $221,600.
  • The library opened in the new building in December, 1995 with formal dedication on January 20, 1996.
  • Soon after the new building was finished, the Library Board of Trustees and staff realized more space was needed for library programs.  The Library Board began accumulating funds in a Special Reserve Fund for the needed expansion. The Library was awarded an USDA Rural Community Facilities grant and loan for the project.  In addition, private citizens donated money and a "Pennies to Build" campaign also contributed to the project. 
  • In August 2022, A. Fischer Builders, Inc. contractors broke ground to add on an additional 1800 square feet which included an open concept room with more storage, a kitchenette, bathroom and an office that was designed by Klingner & Associates, PC. The new space is called the "Makerspace" and when the library is not using the space, the community is welcome to reserve it.  

 

Join our mailing list